Buffer

Beluga, Osetra, Sevruga Gourmet Caviar

True gourmet caviar consists of sturgeon eggs. The flavor of caviar is fine, delicate, rich of tonality, with a precise aroma, and probably among the best of gourmet food. For this reason, the best way to taste caviar is to eat it alone, possibly after being chilled on ice.

For the best taste, use a non-metallic teaspoon made of something like bone or nacre. An elegant coupling with the four caviar varieties can be realized using whipped butter with vodka, minced scallion (sweetened in water), minced hard-boiled egg (yellow and white). The dimensions of a caviar egg is the most obvious factor that differentiates the types: Beluga, Sevruga, and Osetra (the fourth type, Sterlet, is so rare that only royalty could hope to taste it). 95% of the gourmet caviar produced in the world comes from sturgeon caught in the Caspian Sea by Russian and Iranian fishermen. The remaining 5% is produced in China, the USA, France and also Italy.

Widespread opinion holds that the most valuable gourmet caviar is the Iranian. This is because the Caspian Sea is deeper on the Iranian side, never freezing, crossed by currents that oxygenate its waters, with a gravelly bottom as opposed to the muddier bottom on the Russian side. Caviar can be fresh, not sterilized, thereby fully preserving its flavor. Fresh gourmet caviar, however, must be kept refrigerated and has a limited duration, from 2 to 6 months, depending on the type of manufacturing.
Beluga, Osetra, Sevruga Gourmet Caviar

Sterilized caviar has a long preservation time, it usually comes in a glass jar and can be kept for a longer time at room temperature, but it definitely loses its flavor. The eggs of the Beluga are the largest and reach 2.5 millimeters in diameter. They are considered the most valuable when they have clear shadings; those of the Sevruga are instead the smallest (about 1 millimeter), but they are characterized by an enhanced flavor; Osetra (about 2 millimeters) vaguely recalls the taste of walnut, has a clear green-gray color and a gilded quality. Sterlet caviar was only eaten by the families of the Scià and the Zar.