How To Provide A Safe Environment For Your Dog?

Elvis Elvis

As dog owners we try our best to provide a safe environment, healthy food, training, medical care and loving attention. In turn, our pet rewards us with companionship, protection, and unconditional love!  We must never forget our responsibility to provide an safe environment free from poisons and surroundings that can cause harm.  They trust us to protect them.  Your pet needs you to help him know the difference between a toy and a discarded wrapper for a household cleaning item, and the difference between a treat and moldy piece of food.  As we all know, dogs love to chew on things. We can prevent a health crisis by providing a safe environment.

Many foods that are safe for humans pose a serious threat for animals.   Some of these include chocolate, onions, alcohol, coffee, coffee beans, tea, salt, nuts, hops, and avocado’s.  Also of concern are the leaves of certain plants such as tomatoes and potatoes.

Medications need to be kept away from all animals.  Dogs can swallow the pill or the pill bottle!  Medications that come in tubes are also a problem and can be a serious threat to dogs even in small doses.  Other medications that can be lethal are cold medicines, anti-depressants, diet pills and pain killers to name a few.  Be careful not to leave medication at a level where your dog could get them.

Sometimes even the most pampered dog needs a little help in the area of flea control.  If the situation indicates that you treat your house as well as your dog, be sure to read the product label and follow all directions carefully.  If your dog has special needs because of his age or because she is pregnant, be sure to contact your vet to get specific information regarding safe use of any of these products.

How To Provide A Safe Environment For Your Dog?

If your dog ingests mouse, rat or roach poison, be aware of the type of poison so you can communicate this information to your veterinarian.  To avoid this problem, be sure to put them out of reach of your pet.  Remember, dogs are very curious and may put some effort into retrieving the hidden bait.  Be very sure that you dog cannot access it.

Some house plants and outdoor plants present serious risk for your pet.  While some plants might cause only temporary digestive distress, the ingestion of Easter lily, sago palm, oleander, rhododendrons, azalea, castor bean, or yew plant can be fatal for your dog.  Keep any potentially toxic plants out of areas accessible to your animal in order to provide a safe environment.  If you have multiple plants in and around your home you should record the plant varieties you have and keep a reference guide handy in case your dog decides it’s lunchtime.  If you need to contact your vet you will be able to tell him what he has ingested.

Gardening and lawn care supplies are commonly found around the home and also present a serious risk to the health of your animal. Never use these chemicals in the presence of your pet.  Always read and follow label directions carefully.  Whether you apply the chemicals yourself or you have a lawn service, be sure to keep your dog off the lawn until completely dry.  Once again, for a safe environment, store products in areas that are inaccessible.

Household chemicals pose a serious risk to the health of your family pet.  Household items that have been proven to be lethal include batteries, mothballs, coffee grounds, dish-washing detergent, potpourri oils, alcohol and cigarettes.  Special care should be taken to make sure your pet cannot get to them.

Other products commonly found around your home include cleaners, wax and other products for the maintenance of your car, your lawn mower or other motorized equipment.  Cleaners, oil, gasoline, windshield washer fluid and antifreeze can be deadly.   Do not leave containers around if you are draining oil, antifreeze or any other liquid from your vehicles.  Do not allow you dog to be in the area of your weekend mechanic projects!

When working on home improvement projects, keep pets out of the area until all equipment and materials have been put away. Materials such as paint, varnish, and stains are highly toxic to your pet.  Do not allow them in the work area until these finishes have dried completely.  In case of a mishap, remember to NEVER use paint thinner to clean your pet’s coat!  Call your vet for instructions.

Your dog depends on you to keep him safe.  Be careful to provide a safe environment free from harmful substances.