Buffer

The Armenian Church of St. Gregory the Illuminator in Singapore

Elvis Elvis

It’s the first church built in Singapore.

It was consecrated and dedicated to Saint Gregory the Illuminator, the first Armenian monk.

It’s believed that the Church was the first building in Singapore to have electricity with the installation of fans and lights when electricity came to Singapore in 1909.

Completed in 1835 by the Irish Architect – George Drumgoole Coleman, the church famous as his masterpiece. He cleverly combined the symmetry of Palladian architecture with the practical details of Eastern architecture like louvers and wide verandahs.

The Armenian Church of St. Gregory the Illuminator in Singapore

Today’s pitched roof and spire, built by George Maddock had replaced the original dome at first built as one of distinctive features of its architecture. However, the distinctive circular shape is still evident from the interior.

This building recognized as a National Monument and won an Urban Redevelopment Authority conservation award in 1995.Urban Redevelopment Authority (URA) is Singapore’s national land use planning authority.

How to get there?:

When you take an MRT, alight at City Hall MRT Station (EW13/NS25) and then walk toward Hill Street direction.